Details

LLL

Thursday 10 May 2012

The Teddy Bear's Picnic

Aimee turned 8 on Sunday and to celebrate we had a few friends round for a Teddy Bear's Picnic.

I feel like I've had bears on the brain since we starting thinking about it a month or so ago but it's been great fun planning what we'd do and more importantly - what we'd eat!


It all started with the invitations. It's been a while since I've water coloured but I thought it would be the perfect medium and after several dreadful attempts I came up with the design above. Then I thought I'd make my own stamps to go on the envelopes. And once we'd decided we'd make teddy bears at the picnic I thought I'd do bags to put them in and adoption certificates. . . . oh, and I had a birthday badge made. . . and the card I made for Aimee had a bear on it! I nearly forgot - I drew some bears on the window too.

Given my recent penchant for amigurumi I just had to crochet a bear and surfed and surfed for a pattern that looked a little bit like the one I'd designed. With no joy I tweaked a pattern I had in my Ravelry Library - Angie's Art Studio Panda Bear. A few very minor alterations and Teddy Edward was ready for the picnic.



He looks a little annoyed. Maybe it's because his eyes are squint!

Last Saturday was baking day. Aimee was whisked away to Grandma's cottage to make crispie cakes while I made raspberry and white chocolate muffins and her birthday cake in secret. Shhh!

Ever since I was little my mum has made my brother, sister and I the same chocolate cake for just about every birthday we've celebrated. It's the most delicious chocolate sponge with a chocolate butter cream and a rich chocolate glace icing; the recipe never seems to fail and it's always enjoyed so why wouldn't we make it over, and over, and over again. I've made Aimee the very same cake for all 7 of her previous birthdays (whether she liked it or not) and this year I thought I'd try my hand at using some fondant to decorate it. Last year I used edible chocolate transfer paper and I was a bit disappointed with the results. This year I kept it simple and with some top fondant tips from my sister Nic I hoped I'd made the perfect Teddy Bear's Picnic cake.


Aimee and friends @ The Teddy Bear's Picnic

No comments:

Post a Comment